10 Ways Parents Can Show Their Teens Love
Find Your Parenting Love Language
Saying the words “I love you” is the easiest way parents can show teens love, and teens need to know that they are loved unconditionally. So that’s first and foremost. Once teens know you care about them and their safety, you can start layering in other ways of showing love.
Here are ten additional ways we show teens we love them:
- See the best in our teens and know who they are at their core.
- Protect them by preparing them for the world.
- Make rules concerning safety, but always let your teen know your rules exist because you care about them.
- Be a reliable parent that your teen can count on.
- Spend quality time with your teen and be present when you’re with them.
- Have genuine discussions about values and what it means to be a good person. Don’t just state your beliefs — help them to establish their own.
- Cheer them on and be their biggest supporter, whether it’s on the field, stage, or classroom. Celebrate their effort more than scores or results.
- Listen to your teen when they’re talking and really hear what they’re saying.
- Get out of their way and let them fail (they’ll learn from mistakes).
- Teach them what they need to know as they learn to navigate the world.
For more information on the importance of showing love, check out:
Communicating Love Clearly to Teens
The Power of Love in Protecting Children
5 Reasons to Tell Your Teens You Love Them
And follow the #ShowTeensLove hashtag on Instagram to see these concepts in action!